Monday, November 30, 2009

Baptism


Well this week is going to be a pretty big week for us. This week Samuel, my first born, is turning 8. Now turning 8 is a pretty big deal in our house. The reason it is a big deal is because Samuel will be getting Baptised. His birthday is on Friday, and on Saturday we are having his baptism. He is so excited about it, we have been building it up for him. As a parent it is exciting and scary, scary to think that I have a child who is 8, also it makes you think 'have I really taught him enough'. As 8 year olds we do not fully comprehend what we are doing when we get baptised, I think it doesn't matter how much you try and teach them. It is something that has to develop within them. They have to develop a love for the Church and its teachings and then choose themselves that they want to follow its teachings. Baptism is just the first step for them on that long road. So I am excited that Samuel is able to take that first step and that I will be there to help him afterwards. Samuel has had some really good teachers at Church and he has had some good example set for him by his cousins. All his cousins who are old enough have been baptised, Samuel has watched each of these baptisms and it has increased his excitement for his own. So that time is finally here. As I said on Saturday we will gather with family and friends to see Samuel get baptised. I am so proud of him for this decision he has made.

No comments:

Post a Comment