Monday, October 31, 2011

Ashley's 8th Birthday

Well today is my little girls 8th Birthday. 8 is a big deal, I cannot believe how big she is getting. I remember the night she was born.

It was a Thursday night and Adam was at a Scouts activity, I put Samuel to bed and knew I was in the beginning stages of labour. When Adam got home I told him that is was most likely going to happen tonight so he started timing contractions as we watched TV. I remember being upset because Samuel would not be my little baby anymore. But I was also excited to meet the new addition. We did not know the sex of the baby, so everyone was excited to find out what the baby was. We soon called my Mum to come over to watch Samuel. Adam's parents were in England for his cousins wedding so we did not contact them just yet.

We left for the hospital at about 1:00am, we made a quick detour to Adam's parents house because Adam forgot to grab some change so he could call them. I remember sitting in the car wishing Adam would hurry up, I didn't want to have the baby in the car. The contractions were happening every 2 - 3 mins by then. We finally arrived at Modbury hospital where I was immediately taken upstairs. Adam was left behind to fill in paper work and move the car. He quickly joined us and it was a good thing he was quick because I soon started pushing and then out little girl was here. We had only been at the hospital for about 1/2 hour. She was beautiful, at least to us. She had the normal baby squishiness and looked a bit like her poppy. She took a dummy straight away and we did not get it off her for another 18 months.

As I reflect on that night, I think how blessed I am to of had 3 beautiful, healthy children. They are all unique and special in their own ways. As Ashley has grown she has defiantly turned in to her own person. She is a determined, bright and generous person. She is always thinking of ways she can help people, especially her teachers at church. She always develops a bond with them that last beyond them being her teacher. She is a girl who knows what she wants and she is an expert at the LOOK. I see myself in her so much, but I also see a beautiful young women blossoming. She is such a girly girl and I feel bad sometimes as I am not. It is a good thing she has a dad who loves to buy her dresses and pretty things. She loves to play with her younger brother Joseph, they get along so well and this is partly due to the fact that she like bossing him around and he lets her to a certain extent. This has been their relationship since the beginning. Samuel does love his little sister, but he will not be bossed around by her so this can cause a bit of contention, but I am sure this is true of most families. Ashley is a blessing to our family and I would not have her any other way. I love my little Princess.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Ashley - we are looking forward to your special day on Saturday.

    Auntie Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this night very well also. I believe when I came over we were watching Australian Idol. We voted for Guy Sebastian. I was so excited when we heard Ashley had been born. Our first grand-daughter! She brings so much joy and happiness wherever she goes, but watch out for 'the look'.
    Happy 8th birthday, we are so proud of you and we love you. Grandma and Poppy

    ReplyDelete